2016 Latin American Club Leaders Meeting in Cambridge
From February 3 to 5, the HAA hosted the Latin American Club leaders meeting in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The gathering was a fantastic occasion for Clubs leaders from Chile, Colombia, Panama, Nicaragua, Mexico, Monterrey, Argentina, Peru, Spain, Puerto Rico, and first time attendees Uruguay and Paraguay, to share recent success stories, discuss particular challenges, and network with fellow Club & SIG leaders. Juan Fernando Jimenez (Colombia) and Carlos Ulvert (Nicaragua) moderated the sessions. Martin Grasso, HAA Vice President 2014-2015 and Mark Elliott, Vice Provost of International Affairs, joined the group contributing their own valuable insights to the discussion. Sessions included presentations from Harvard staff and faculty across the University, and the networking breakfast with Admissions staff, and Faculty gathering, all served to foster a committment towards joint efforts and outreach. Everyone left the meeting energized to continue the magnificent work of connecting alumni with each other and the University and with a determination to continue inter-regional activities.
For more information, please see the complete program and presentations below.
2016 HARVARD LATIN AMERICAN CLUBS, CONTACTS & SIGS LEADERS MEETINGS
Wednesday, February 3, 2016
10:00AM to 11:30AM
LECTURE by Jocelyn Viterna, Associate Professor of Sociology and Co-director of the Transnational Studies Initiative, on "The Importance of Social Movements for Latin America."
11:45AM to 1:00PM
CONVERSATIONAL LUNCH WITH HARVARD ADMISSIONS OFFICERS, COMMITTEE ON GENERAL SCHOLARSHIPS & LASPAU
Attended by representatives from Harvard Business School, Harvard College, Harvard Divinity School, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Graduate School of Education, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard Law School, Harvard School of Design, Harvard School of Public Health, Committee on General Scholarships & LASPAU.
1:15PM to 4:00PM
CLUBS, CONTACTS & SIGs GENERAL DISCUSSIONS - Session I
• WELCOME REMARKS by Martin Grasso AB ’78, Vice President, Harvard Alumni Association 2014-2015
• HAA REMARKSby Philip Lovejoy, Executive Director of the Harvard Alumni Association
• HAA COMMUNITY SERVICE INITIATIVE by Joslyn Evans, Assistant Director, Clubs and SIGs
& Ellen Guidera MBA ’86, HAA Elected Director, and President of the Harvard Club of Chile
• UNIVERSITY UPDATEby Vice Provost Mark Elliott, Harvard University Vice Provost of International Affairs, and the Mark Schwartz Professor of Chinese and Inner Asian History, Faculty of Arts and Sciences
• THE HARVARD CAMPAIGN by Bob Cashion, Senior Associate Vice President, Harvard Alumni Affairs and Development & Susan Lyons, Director, International Advancement for Latin America, Harvard Alumni Affairs and Development.
• DRCLAS PROGRAMING IN LATIN AMERICA by Ned Strong, Executive Director, David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies & Erin Goodman, Associate Director of Programs, David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies
8:30 AM to 10:30 PM
10:45AM to 1:30PM
CLUBS, CONTACTS & SIGs GENERAL DISCUSSIONS - Session II
• CLUB/SIG HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE PAST YEAR - Each Club/Contact/SIG will have the opportunity to report on their most relevant issues, activities, accomplishments, challenges, etc. for about 3 minutes.
• LIFE-LONG LEARNING AT HARVARD:
- HARVARD DIVISION OF CONTINUING EDUCATION By Jill Felecio, Director of Alumni Affairs
- HBS EXECUTIVE EDUCATION by Laura Escobar, Director, Corporate Relations and Market Development, Latin America Region
- HKS EXECUTIVE EDUCATION by Bridget Gildea, Director, Strategic Market & Program Development
- HARVARDX by Samantha S. Earp, Executive Director, HarvardX
• UPDATES BY HARVARD SCHOOLS WHO MANAGE ALUMNI NETWORK GROUPS
- HBS: Sandra Genere, Assistant Director of Programs, HBS Alumni Clubs and Associations, & Andrew Elrick, Director of Administration, HBS Global Initiative
- HKS: Liz Nunez, Senior Director of Alumni Relations and Resource Development at the Harvard Kennedy School
Harvard Club of Boston. 374 Commonwealth Ave, Boston, MA 02215.
HARVARD LATIN AMERICAN CLUBS, CONTACTS, & SIGS LEADERS SOCIAL DINNER WITH INTERNATIONAL CLUB LEADERS ATTENDING THE ALUMNI LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE
Social dinner to meet with other international Club/Contacts/SIG officers.