Asia-Pacific Club Leaders Meeting
The Asia-Pacific Club Leaders Meeting brings together alumni leaders from around the region to share best practices, discuss opportunities for collaboration, and learn new skills. The day-long workshop also features presentations from the HAA regarding programs and services offered for Clubs and Club leaders, and a lecture and discussion with a Harvard faculty member.
The Asia-Pacific Club Leaders Meeting is also a wonderful opportunity for Club leaders to meet one another, to strengthen the Asia Pacific network of alumni leaders, and to brainstorm ideas about keeping alumni living outside the United States connected with the University and with one another.
The Harvard Alumni Association (HAA) will be hosting another successful and exciting Asia-Pacific Club Leaders Meeting in New Delhi, India from March 16 - March 18, 2018. Below is the tentative meeting program:
2018 HARVARD ASIA-PACIFIC CLUBS, CONTACTS & SIGS LEADERS MEETING
INDIA – FRIDAY, MARCH 16 TO SUNDAY, MARCH 18, 2018
MEETING LOCATION & INFORMATION
The Imperial Hotel
Janpath Lane, Connaught Place, New Delhi, 110001 INDIA
Telephone: +91 11 2334 1234
*IMPORTANT: HOTEL GROUP BOOKING DETAILS*
The Harvard Club of India has kindly reserved rooms for the group at The Imperial Hotel.
Reservations at our special discounted rate can be made for Wednesday, March 14 through Monday, March 19, 2018. The rate at The Imperial Hotel for an Imperial Room is INR 12,000 (about US$185) for a single room or INR 13,500 (about US$208) for a double room per night, plus applicable services and taxes. Continental buffet breakfast and WiFi are included.
Rooms are available on a first come, first serve basis. The room block's special rate is available until February 10, 2018.
Cancellation policy is: 45 days prior to arrival no charge;
45 days to 25 days one night charge; and 25 days prior to arrival entire stay.
To make your reservation please email Ms. Jyoti Singh at Jsingh@theimperialindia.com and make sure to mention you are attending the Harvard University event, to ensure that you get the contracted rate.
Friday, March 16, 2018 - OVERNIGHT: The Imperial Hotel. Breakfast on own; included in hotel rate.
Meet at The Imperial Hotel lobby for a group bus drive to the Red Fort.
GUIDED VISIT OF THE RED FORT
The bus will depart from the site for The Imperial Hotel at 5:30PM
BUFFET DINNER AND LECTURE BY PROFESSOR VENKATESH (VENKY) NARAYANAMURTI ON "ENGINEERING & THE LIBERAL ARTS"
Janpath Lane, Connaught Place, New Dehli, 110001, India
Venkatesh (Venky) Narayanamurti, Benjamin Peirce Research Professor of Technology and Public Policy in the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and the Kennedy School of Government, as keynote speaker. In attendance: Harvard Club of India, Harvard Club of Mumbai, Harvard Club of Chennai, and HAA Contact in Bengaluru leadership; local alumni; visiting Club/SIG leaders, HAA Asia-Pacific Directors for Clubs & SIGs, and HAA representatives. Click here to view the slides.
Saturday, March 17, 2018 - OVERNIGHT: The Imperial Hotel. Breakfast on own; included in hotel rate.
9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
CLUBS, CONTACTS & SIGs GENERAL DISCUSSIONS at The Imperial Hotel Ballroom (lunch included)
- Welcome Remarks by Susan Novick AB’85, HAA President 2017-2018
- HAA Remarks by Philip W. Lovejoy, Executive Director of the Harvard Alumni Association
- University Update by Mark Elliott, Harvard University Vice Provost of International Affairs, and the Mark Schwartz Professor of Chinese and Inner Asia History, Faculty of Arts and Sciences
- Four (4) minute updates by each Club/Contact/SIG followed by Q&A
- Harvard Regional Connections; Clubs and Harvard Units Conversation with Panelists:
- Meena Hewett, Executive Director, Harvard Lakshmi Mittal South Asia Institute, and Sanjay Kumar, India Country Director, Harvard Lakshmi Mittal South Asia Institute, will give an update on their work in the region.
- Anjali Raina, Executive Director, HBS India Research Center, and Namrata Arora, Associate Director, HBS India Research Center, will provide a summary of HBS research activities in India and the region.
- Rose Askin, Managing Director Asia, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, will offer us an insight into the Faculty of Arts and Sciences development efforts in Asia.
- Margot Gill, Administrative Dean for International Affairs, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Kamille Washington, Administrative Director for International Affairs, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, and Sheila Thomas, Dean of Academic Programs and Diversity, The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, will share information on the international affairs initiatives in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
- McKinsey Study: Re-inventing the Alumni Communities Operating Model by Peter Hasko PMD’93, Board Member of the Harvard Club of Australia, and former HAA Director for Australasia
- International Scholarship Options for Clubs, Contacts, & SIGs by Margot Gill, Administrative Dean for International Affairs, Chairperson of the Harvard Committee on General Scholarships
- By-laws Discussion: Major Areas to Re-evaluate
- Trademark Issues; Interaction with the Press; and Other Club, Contact & SIGs Recommendations by Sara Aske, Senior Associate Director, HAA Clubs & SIGs
- Group Picture
Meet at the Imperial Hotel lobby for a short walk (about 10 minutes) to the Msala Library restaurant.
DINNER AT Farzi Cafe
Afterwards we will walk back as a group to The Imperial Hotel.
Sunday, March 18, 2018 - OVERNIGHT: The Imperial Hotel. Breakfast on own; included in hotel rate.
Meet at the Imperial Hotel for a group bus drive to Humayun Tomb
GUIDED VISIT TO THE HUMAYUN TOMB
Return to The Imperial Hotel; individual departures to airport as scheduled.